This section is intended for holders of a Québec university degree in social work or social services who obtained their degree more than 5 years ago. These applications are studied pursuant to the Regulation respecting refresher training periods for social workers (C-26, r. 296).
Please review the information below to determine your eligibility before completing your application for admission.
If you received your degree less than 5 years ago, please refer instead to this section.
Imposition of refresher training is not automatic. A review of the file, conducted after the receipt of all required documents and payments, allows the Order to evaluate your professional experience over the past 5 years.
We invite you to review the Application of the Regulation respecting refresher training to obtain more detailed information on this subject.
Degrees granting access to the social worker permit
If your program does not appear on the list below, please select a different admission profile in the menu on the left.
- Baccalauréat en service social de l’Université Laval
- Maîtrise en service social de l’Université Laval
- Bachelor of Social Work of McGill University
- Master of Social Work of McGill University
- Baccalauréat ès sciences en service social de l’Université de Montréal
- Maîtrise ès sciences en service social de l’Université de Montréal
- Baccalauréat en travail social offert par l’Université du Québec en Abitibi-Témiscamingue
- Baccalauréat en travail social offert par l’Université du Québec à Chicoutimi
- Baccalauréat en travail social de l’Université du Québec en Outaouais
- Maîtrise en travail social de l’Université du Québec en Outaouais
- Baccalauréat en travail social de l’Université du Québec à Montréal
- Maîtrise en travail social de l’Université du Québec à Montréal
- Baccalauréat en service social de l’Université de Sherbrooke
- Maîtrise en service social de l’Université de Sherbrooke
- Baccalauréat en travail social offert par l’Université du Québec à Rimouski
Documents to attach
The following documents must be attached to your application for admission:
1. Application for admission/Registration Form for the Membership Roll of the Order as social worker
Application for admission | Form 2020 – 2021
You must complete the Membership Application /Registration on the Roll of the Order as Social Worker (PDF, 458 KB). For assistance, consult the Reference Guide for your Application for Admission to or Reregistration with the TSTCFQ (PDF, 1.100 KB).
2. Official transcript
Only an official and final transcript is accepted.
The transcript must include:
- The mention “degree granted” (and the date granted)
- Stamp of the Registrar
- Only the final and original document will be accepted
- Your transcript will not be returned
- No copy, scan or fax will be accepted
You do not have the final and original transcript?
If you cannot attach these documents when submitting your application for admission, attach Appendix R (PDF, 103 KB) attesting that you have taken steps with your educational institution to send the necessary documents directly to the Order.
3. Proof of identity
You must send us a photocopy of a government-issued ID card, which shows your full name. Examples: passport, driver’s licence, birth certificate.
4. Documents related to your work experience
Be sure to attach:
- An up-to-date curriculum vitae;
- An attestation from your employer.
This attestation must stipulate the following information:
- Your job title
- A detailed description of your professional responsibilities and tasks
- The classification of working hours (whether this is a full-time, part-time or contract position, specifying in the last case the number of hours per week)
- The number of hours of practice over the last 5 years
- The date of hiring and date on which you stopped working, if applicable
The employer must exclude extended periods not worked, such as maternity leave, sick leave or leave without pay, from the number of hours of work.
An attestation must be provided for each position held during these last 5 years.
5. Appendix C (if you have been declared guilty by a court of a criminal offence or by a disciplinary body of another order in Québec or elsewhere)
You are obliged to inform the Order of such a decision.
To do so:
- Complete sections 600, 610 and 620 of the Membership Application /Registration on the Roll of the Order as Social Worker(PDF, 458 KB)
- Download Appendix C – Mandatory Declarations (PDF, 68 KB)
- Attach any document from the court or disciplinary body regarding the offence and a letter detailing the circumstances of the event
Applications of persons declared guilty of a criminal or disciplinary offence are reviewed by the Admissions and Equivalences Committee, whose recommendations are transmitted to the Executive Committee of the Order.
This may take up to 12 weeks.
6. Office québécois de la langue française Form (where applicable)
Please consult the linguistic requirements to determine if you must complete the Formulaire de l’Office québécois de la langue française with a view to taking a French exam.
Fees to pay
The fees payable will vary according to your situation at the time you apply .
These fees are not refundable.
Professional liability insurance
You are required to have professional liability insurance if you practice the profession (whether full time, part time or occasionally).
If you are in independent practice or not covered by professional liability insurance of your employer, you are obliged to purchase the Order’s professional liability insurance. It is possible to request an exemption by completing Appendix B. See our page on professional liability insurance to find out more.
Send your documents by mail to the following address:
Service des admissions
Ordre des travailleurs sociaux
et des thérapeutes conjugaux et familiaux du Québec
255 Crémazie Blvd. East, Suite 800
Montréal, Québec H2M 1L5
Requests received by email or by fax will not be processed.
Processing time for an application for admission
If the Order does not impose refresher training, you can expect a delay of 3 to 4 weeks for the issue of your permit and registration on the membership roll from the moment the file is considered complete. If your application is incomplete, you will receive an email informing you of the status of your file.
If the Order does recommend refresher training, you can expect a period of about 2 months for processing the file starting from when it is complete. In such cases, applications are submitted to the Executive Committee of the Order, which meets about 6 times per year.
Once your admission is completed, the Admissions Service will send you:
- Your permit for posting in public view
- A letter confirming your registration on the membership roll of the Order
- Your membership card and receipts for income tax purposes (anticipate an additional period for obtaining these documents)
- Documentation on insurance policies available
Time period for retaining incomplete applications
A file that remains incomplete is destroyed one year from the date you were informed that your application was incomplete.
You will have to initiate a new admission procedure, including the payment of fees for opening your file and, if applicable, the review of your file.
If you have any questions, please contact:
Sylvie Robert, Secretary
Telephone: 514 731-3925, ext. 298
Toll-free: 1 888-731-9420, ext. 298