This section is intended for holders of a Québec university degree in social work or social services earned less than 5 years ago. If you received your degree more than 5 years ago, please refer to this section instead..
Please read the information below carefully to determine your eligibility before completing your application for admission.
Degrees granting access to the social worker permit
If your program does not appear on the list below, please select a different admission profile in the menu on the left.
- Baccalauréat en service social de l’Université Laval
- Maîtrise en service social de l’Université Laval
- Bachelor of Social Work of McGill University
- Master of Social Work of McGill University
- Baccalauréat ès sciences en service social de l’Université de Montréal
- Maîtrise ès sciences en service social de l’Université de Montréal
- Baccalauréat en travail social offert par l’Université du Québec en Abitibi-Témiscamingue
- Baccalauréat en travail social offert par l’Université du Québec à Chicoutimi
- Baccalauréat en travail social offert par l’Université du Québec en Outaouais
- Maîtrise en travail social de l’Université du Québec en Outaouais
- Baccalauréat en travail social de l’Université du Québec à Montréal
- Maîtrise en travail social de l’Université du Québec à Montréal
- Baccalauréat en service social de l’Université de Sherbrooke
- Maîtrise en service social de l’Université de Sherbrooke
- Baccalauréat en travail social offert par l’Université du Québec à Rimouski
Documents to attach
The following documents must be attached to your application for admission:
1. Application for admission/Registration Form for the membership roll of the Order as social worker
Application for admission | Form 2020 – 2021
Complete the Membership Application /Registration on the Roll of the Order as Social Worker (PDF, 458 Ko). For assistance, you can consult the Reference Guide for your Application for Admission to or Reregistration with the OTSTCFQ (PDF, 1,10 Mo).
2. Proof of identity
You must send us a photocopy of a government-issued ID card, which shows your full name. Examples: passport, driver’s licence, birth certificate.
3. Official transcript
Only an official, final transcript is accepted.
You can ask the university to send us your transcript by email or to scan your transcript and send it in PDF format by email.
It must include:
- the mention “degree obtained” (and the date of issue)
- the registrar’s seal
Is your final transcript unavailable?
If you have just completed your program or you are a graduate of the Université de Sherbrooke (whose official transcripts never mention the degree conferred), you may attach:
An official attestation of completion of studies or awarding of degree attesting that the degree will be conferred at the next graduation ceremony.
If you cannot attach these documents upon filing your application for admission, attach Appendix R (PDF, 103 KB) attesting that you have undertaken steps with your educational institution to send the necessary documents directly to the Order.
If you have completed a Master’s degree in social work or social services, you must transmit confirmation that you meet language requirements necessary for the issue of your permit.
4. Appendix C (if you have been declared guilty by a court of a criminal offence or by a disciplinary body of another order in Québec or elsewhere)
You are obliged to inform the Order of such a decision.
To do so:
- Complete sections 600, 610 and 620 of the Membership Application /Registration on the Roll of the Order as Social Worker (PDF, 458 KB)
- Download Appendix C – Mandatory Declarations (PDF, 68 KB)
- Attach any document from the court or disciplinary body regarding the offence and a letter detailing the circumstances of the event
Applications of persons declared guilty of a criminal or disciplinary offence are reviewed by the Admissions and Equivalences Committee, whose recommendations are transmitted to the Executive Committee of the Order.
This may take up to 12 weeks.
5. Office québécois de la langue française Form (where applicable)
Please consult the linguistic requirements to determine if you must complete the Formulaire de l’Office québécois de la langue française with a view to taking a French exam.
Fees to pay
The fees payable will vary according to your situation at the time you apply .
These fees are not refundable.
Professional liability insurance
You are required to have professional liability insurance if you practice the profession (whether full time, part time or occasionally).
If you are in independent practice or not covered by professional liability insurance of your employer, you are obliged to purchase the Order’s professional liability insurance. You can request an exemption by completing Appendix B. See our page on professional liability insurance to find out more.
Send us your documents by email at the following address : [email protected].
Processing time for an application for admission
You can expect a delay of 3 to 4 weeks for the issue of your permit and registration on the membership roll of the Order from the moment your file is considered complete.
Once the admission process has been completed, the Admissions Service will send you:
- Your permit for posting in public view
- A letter confirming your registration on the membership roll of the Order
- Your membership card and receipts for income tax purposes (anticipate an additional period for obtaining these documents)
- Documentation on insurance policies available
Retention of incomplete applications
A file that remains incomplete is destroyed one year from the date you were informed that your application was incomplete.
You will have to initiate a new admission procedure, including the payment of fees for opening your file and, if applicable, the review of your file.
If you have any questions, please contact:
Sophia Constant, Secretary
Telephone: 514 731-3925, ext. 249
Toll-free: 1 888-731-9420, ext. 249