Social worker member elsewhere in Canada

General information

This section is intended for persons who are members of another Canadian social work regulatory body. If you have had your permit from another Canadian body for more than 5 years, please instead refer to this section.

Please review the information below to determine your eligibility before completing your application for admission.


Preliminary Notice

To obtain a social worker permit issued by the Order through this route to admission, you must already hold a legal authorization to practice the profession of social worker in another Canadian province.

However, if you have one of the following legal authorizations, we invite you instead to refer to the route for graduate in social work outside Québec (Canada or international) or by equivalence:

  • registration in the Alberta College of Social Workersregister based on a college-level diploma or recognition of an equivalence on the basis of that diploma
  • registration in the Saskatchewan Association of Social Workersregister based on a certificate in social work
  • a provisional social worker certificate issued by the Ontario College of Social Workers and Social Service Workers

Documents to attach

The following documents must be attached to your application for admission:

1. Application for admission/Registration Form for the Membership Roll of the Order as social worker

Application for admission | Form 2019 – 2020
The Membership Application /Registration on the Roll of the Order as Social Worker  (PDF, 155 KB) must be completed with the help of Reference Guide for your Application for OTSTCFQ Admission or Reregistration (PDF, 1.100 KB).


2. Identity Card

You must send us a photocopy of a government-issued ID card, which shows your full name.  Examples: passport, driver’s licence, birth certificate, etc.


3. Official transcript

Only an official, final transcript is accepted.

This must include:

  • The entry “Degree granted” (and the date granted)
  • Stamp of the Registrar

Supplementary information:

  • Only an original document will be accepted
  • Your transcript will not be returned to you
  • No copy, scan or fax will be accepted

When submitting your application for admission, attach Appendix M (PDF, 101 KB) attesting that you have undertaken steps with your educational establishment to have the necessary documents sent directly to the Order.


4. Certificate of member in good standing

First, send the Certificate of member in good standing  (PDF, 109 KB) to the Canadian social work regulatory authority that has issued you legal authorization to practice the profession of social worker elsewhere in Canada and have it completed by them.

Then, in order to speed up the process for registering for the required training:

  • Provide a copy of your membership card, and
  • A copy of Appendix M(PDF, 101 KB) attesting that you have undertaken steps with the social work regulatory body elsewhere in Canada to have your duly completed Certificate of member in good standing sent directly to the Order

Receipt of the duly completed Certificate of member in good standing is essential to the issuance of the permit and your registration in the Membership Roll of the Order.


5. An up-to-date curriculum vitae

6. Appendix C (only if you have been the subject of a court or disciplinary decision in the past)

You are obliged to inform the Order of such a decision.

To do so:

Send us your documents by mail or by ​email  to the following address:

Secretary of the Order
Ordre des travailleurs sociaux
et des thérapeutes conjugaux et familiaux du Québec

255 Crémazie Blvd. East, Suite 800
Montréal, Québec H2M 1L5

The requests containing a notice of court or disciplinary decision are studied by the Committee on Admissions and Equivalences.  Their recommendations are then sent to the Executive Committee.

This may take as much as 12 weeks.


7. Office québécois de la langue française Form (where applicable)

Please consult the linguistic requirements  to determine if you must complete the Formulaire de l’Office québécois de la langue française.


Fees to pay

The fees payable will vary according to your situation at the time you apply.

These fees are not reimbursable.


Liability insurance

You are required to have professional liability insurance if you practice the profession (whether full time, part time or occasionally).

If you are in independent practice or if you are not covered by liability insurance by your employer, you are obliged to purchase the Order’s liability insurance.  It is possible to request an exemption by completing Appendix BSee our page on professional liability insurance  to find out more.

Required training

Your participation in the training activity entitled Lois, règlements et normes : balises pour soutenir l’intervention en travail social [Laws, regulations and standards: benchmarks for social work intervention] is essential to the issuance of the permit and registration on the Membership Roll.

This 2-day course covers the laws, regulations and ethical aspects of the practice of the social worker profession in Québec.

To register, please contact our continuing education service at 514-731-3925, ext. 295.

Important: Registration confirmation received by email must be included with your application for admission.

Once this training is finished and if your application is complete, the Order may continue the processing of your application for admission and proceed to issue the social worker permit and your registration on the Membership Roll of the Order.

If you wish to learn more about the content of the training or know the dates of upcoming sessions, we invite you to consult our Catalogue d’activités de formation.

And then?

Send us your documents by mail to the following address:
Service des admissions
Ordre des travailleurs sociaux
et des thérapeutes conjugaux et familiaux du Québec

255, boulevard Crémazie Est, bureau 800
Montréal (Québec) H2M 1L5

Requests received by email or by fax will not be processed.


Retention of incomplete applications

  • A file that remains incomplete is destroyed one year after the date you were informed of the status of that your application was incomplete.
  • You will have to start a new admission procedure, including the payment of the file opening fees and, if applicable, the file review fees.

For any question, please contact:

Sylvie Robert, Secretary
Admissions Service
Telephone : 514 731-3925, ext. 298
Toll-free: 1 888-731-9420, ext. 298

  • See also: Règlement sur les autorisations légales d’exercer la profession de travailleur social hors du Québec qui donnent ouverture au permis de travailleur social de l’Ordre des travailleurs sociaux et des thérapeutes conjugaux et familiaux du Québec [Regulation respecting legal authorizations to practice the social worker profession that allow access to the social worker permit of the Order] (C-26, r. 284)