This section is intended for persons who are registered as social workers with another Canadian social work regulatory body.
Please review the information below to determine your eligibility before completing your application for admission.
To obtain a social worker permit issued by the Order through this route to admission, you must already be registered as a social worker in good standing with another Canadian social work regulatory body.
However, if one of the following situations applies to you, we invite you to refer to the route for graduate in social work outside Québec (Canada or international) or by equivalence:
- You are registered as a social worker with the Alberta College of Social Workers on the basis of a college-level diploma or recognition of an equivalence on the basis of that diploma
- You are registered as a social worker with the Saskatchewan Association of Social Workers on the basis of a certificate in Indian social work
- You hold a provisional social worker certificate issued by the Ontario College of Social Workers and Social Service Workers
Documents to attach
The following documents must be attached to your application for admission:
1. Application for admission/Registration Form for the Membership Roll of the Order as social worker
Application for admission | Form 2020 – 2021
You must complete the Membership Application /Registration on the Roll of the Order as Social Worker (PDF, 458 KB). For assistance, consult the Reference Guide for your Application for OTSTCFQ Admission or Reregistration (PDF, 1.100 KB).
2. Proof of identity
You must send us a photocopy of a government-issued ID card, which shows your full name. Examples: passport, driver’s licence, birth certificate.
3. Official transcript
Only an official, final transcript is accepted.
This must include:
- The mention “Degree granted” (and the date granted)
- Stamp of the Registrar
- Only an original document will be accepted
- Your transcript will not be returned
- No copy, scan or fax will be accepted
When submitting your application for admission, attach Appendix M (PDF, 101 KB) attesting that you have undertaken steps with your educational establishment to send the necessary documents directly to the Order.
4. Certificate of member in good standing
First, send the Certificat de membre en règle [Certificate of member in good standing] (PDF, 109 KB) to the Canadian social work regulatory body with whom you are registered as a social worker and have it completed by them.
Then, in order to speed up the process for registering for the required training:
- Provide a copy of your membership card, and
- A copy of Appendix M (PDF, 101 KB) attesting that you have undertaken steps with the social work regulatory body elsewhere in Canada to have your duly completed Certificate of member in good standing sent directly to the Order.
We need to receive the completed Certificate of member in good standing before we can issue you a permit as a social worker and register you on the membership roll.
5. An up-to-date curriculum vitae
6. Appendix C (if you have been declared guilty by a court of a criminal offence or by a disciplinary body of another order in Québec or elsewhere)
You are obliged to inform the Order of such a decision.
To do so:
- Complete sections 600, 610 and 620 of the Membership Application /Registration on the Roll of the Order as Social Worker (PDF, 459 KB)
- Download Appendix C – Mandatory Declarations (PDF, 68 KB)
- Attach any document from the court or disciplinary body regarding the offence and a letter detailing the circumstances of the event
Applications of persons declared guilty of a criminal or disciplinary offence are reviewed by the Admissions and Equivalence Committee, whose recommendations are transmitted to the Executive Committee of the Order.
This may take up to 12 weeks.
7. Office québécois de la langue française Form (where applicable)
Please consult the linguistic requirements to determine if you must complete the Formulaire de l’Office québécois de la langue française with a view to taking a French exam.
Fees to pay
The fees payable will vary according to your situation at the time you apply.
These fees are not refundable.
Professional liability insurance
You are required to have professional liability insurance if you practice the profession (whether full time, part time or occasionally).
If you are in independent practice or not covered by professional liability insurance of your employer, you are obliged to purchase the Order’s professional liability insurance. You can request an exemption by completing Appendix B. See our page on professional liability insurance to find out more.
You must take the training activity entitled Lois, règlements et normes : balises pour soutenir l’intervention des T.S. et T.C.F. [Laws, regulations and standards: benchmarks for social work and marriage and family therapy interventions] before we issue your permit and register you on the membership roll.
This two-day course covers the laws, regulations and ethical aspects of social work practice in Québec.
To register for the course, contact the Continuing Education Office at 514 731-3925, extension 272.
N.B. You must attach proof of your registration, sent by email, to your application for admission.
After you have completed this activity and if your application is complete, we shall be able to issue your social worker permit and register you on the membership roll.
If you wish to learn more about the content of the training or know the dates of upcoming sessions, we invite you to consult our Catalogue d’activités de formation.
Send us your documents by mail to the following address:
Service des admissions
Ordre des travailleurs sociaux
et des thérapeutes conjugaux et familiaux du Québec
255 Crémazie Blvd. East, Suite 800
Montréal, Québec H2M 1L5
Requests received by email or by fax will not be processed.
Retention of incomplete applications
A file that remains incomplete is destroyed one year from the date you were informed that your application was incomplete.
You will have to initiate a new admission procedure, including the payment of fees for opening your file and, if applicable, the review of your file
If you have any questions, please contact:
Sylvie Robert, Secretary
Telephone: 514 731-3925, ext. 298
Toll-free: 1 888-731-9420, ext. 298
- See also:
- Règlement sur les autorisations légales d’exercer la profession de travailleur social hors du Québec qui donnent ouverture au permis de travailleur social de l’Ordre des travailleurs sociaux et des thérapeutes conjugaux et familiaux du Québec [Regulation respecting legal authorizations to practice the social worker profession that allow access to the social worker permit of the Order] (C-26, r. 284)